Expand Your Hearing Knowledge

Expand your sound knowledge with Woodard Hearing Centers

Diagnosing a hearing loss problem is the first step in your process to regaining your hearing and your life. If your hearing is affecting your life, your relationships and the things you love to do, it’s time to come get help. Once you realize your hearing loss, Woodard Hearing Centers can help you begin your journey to hearing.


Symptoms of Hearing Loss

Do You…

  • Have difficulty understanding conversations, especially in noisy settings?
  • Misunderstand some words in a sentence and need to ask people to repeat themselves?
  • Have trouble hearing things on the TV or have the volume set at levels that annoy others?
  • Think people mumble? Or don’t speak clearly?
  • Find that women’s and children’s voices are difficult to hear?
  • Have family or friends who have told you they think you have a hearing loss?
  • Misunderstand what others are saying and give inappropriate responses?
  • Avoid social activities because you cannot hear well and fear you will reply improperly?
  • Have ringing, clicking or buzzing in your ears?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, we suggest you make an appointment with one of our Doctors of Audiology at Woodard Hearing Centers. Hearing loss can be a difficult thing to come to terms with, but with the experts at Woodard Hearing Centers, you don’t have to go through it alone.

About Hearing Loss

Educating you on hearing loss is the best way to help you make informed hearing health decisions, so we are committed to providing you with the best information possible. Here are some important facts about hearing loss:

  • Hearing loss is the second most common complaint among older adults after arthritis.
  • 90% of hearing loss cases can be treated successfully with the use of hearing instruments, while the remaining 10% can be helped by surgery or other medical treatment.
  • Noise above 80-90 decibels on average over an 8-hour workday is considered hazardous.
  • Firearms, music, airplanes, lawnmowers, power tools and many appliances are louder than 80 decibels and potentially hazardous to hearing with prolonged exposure.
  • A live rock concert produces sounds from 110 to 120 decibels — easily high enough to cause permanent damage to hearing over a 2- to 3-hour period.
  • Physicians seldom screen for hearing loss.
Hearing Loss Demographics

Hearing loss is more common than you might imagine. In fact, hearing loss is occurring at a younger age mainly due to the effects of increased noise exposure. It’s a noisy world out there. Noise levels have increased everywhere. From hair dryers to leaf blowers, lawnmowers, motorcycles, iPods®, freeway traffic, surround sound speakers and more, we constantly expose our ears to damaging levels of noise.

And that’s just at home. Some of the noisiest workplaces are those where firefighters, factory workers, farmers, teachers, construction workers and musicians spend a significant part of their day.

  • 28 million Americans have a hearing loss.
  • In the U.S., 1 in 12 30-year-olds already has a hearing loss.
  • After President Bill Clinton was fitted for hearing aids, more than 1 million other baby boomers identified themselves as experiencing hearing loss.
  • More than a third of all hearing loss is attributed to noise.

To talk to a Doctor of Audiology about your hearing loss or hearing concerns, please contact the professionals Woodard Hearing Center. We can help you get started on the journey to better hearing today.